Thursday, May 24, 2007

It's the end of the world....

My favorite song to sing to my children is not a nursery rhyme...it is REM. Whenever they don't get their way and have a meltdown, I find it amusing to sing to them "it's the end of the world as Lainey knows it, and I feel fine." I feel like I am being a funny, clever mom. I am looking down at them and saying "oh you silly child. If only the world really was all about not getting that candy. If you only knew how trivial that is compared to the rest of life."

And then I realized that God has been singing that song to me my whole life. "Oh silly, dramatic Amanda. Will the world really end if this doesn't happen like you want it to? This is so trivial"

Lainey, my almost 4 yr. old, was talking to my Dad the other day and telling him about all of the exciting events coming up in her life...first there was her ballet recital and then her birthday, and then her friends birthday and then Christmas and then....she thought for a moment... and then heaven. At that point she looked up at my dad and said "Do you think you're going to make it there?"

Now there's some perspective for you.

0 comments: